The name 'Hornchurch' was first recorded in 1222. It is an Anglicised version of the Latin, 'Monasterium Cornutum', which roughly translates as 'church with horn like gables'. Although Roman remains, sufficient to prove a settlement, have been found at Mardyke farm in South Hornchurch, the origins of the main village are obscure. It probably dates from Saxon times, and a church, described in charters and legal documents as the 'Ecclesisa de Havering' once occupied the site of the present Church of St Andrew, which dates from the 13th century. This prominent medieval church was once the principal church in Havering. The unusual Highland bulls head on the eastern gable of the chancel was first mentioned in 1824, but 'points of lead fashioned like horns', apparently in the same position, can be traced back to 1610, and could have even earlier origins. By 1384 a bull's head and horns appeared on the seal of the Prior of Hornchurch, and as well as suggesting that the church had horn-like gables, it could also reflect the area's long association with the leather industry. The 'Hornchurch Hoard,' consisting of 448 silver of pennies from around 1223-60 was found by workmen in the Upminster Road, an area within the bounds of the former Hornchurch Priory. They were mostly English coins, struck in the reign of Henry III, with a few contemporary Scottish and Irish coins. At the time of the Domesday survey in 1086, Hornchurch was part of the royal manor of Havering, but from the 13th century onwards it became a flourishing community in its own right. There were at least 10 manors, several farms, and a leather industry that lasted over six centuries. The industry supplied work to a large number of people including fellmongers, tanners and skinners, and the goods produced had an outlet at Romford Market. In 1789 the Old Hornchurch Brewery was founded by John Woodfine, supplying the inns in the area. The economy, involving agriculture and small trades and crafts, developed further in the 18th century when the Wedlake Brothers, Thomas and Robert, opened an innovative iron foundry in Billet Lane. They specialised in agricultural implements, further serving the economy of the area. Thomas lived opposite the foundry at Fairkytes, and like several other gentlefolk who chose to live locally, built or improved houses in the area.
Appleton's alms-houses. In 1586 Jane Ayloffe, a widow, bought a house on the south side of
High
Street for conversion into 3 alms-houses. The alms-houses were given in trust for the aged
poor
who had lived in Hornchurch for at least 7 years.
Thomas Witherings lived with his wife Dorothy at the large manor house of Great Nelmes. When
King Charles opened up the post to the public in 1635 it is believed that Witherings, the
Postmaster General, produced the plans for the service, one of the most important
developments
in the history of Britain's postal service.
Alice Aylett made provision in her will of 1731 for the founding of Aylett's school, with
funding for a schoolmaster to give tuition to ten poor boys. Prior to this, education in
Hornchurch was provided by the local clergy, or by charity schools.
Bretons manor house was probably named for the LeBreton family who owned the land here from
the 12th to the 14th century. Rebuilt in around 1740, it has many of its original features
intact. The staircase survives from an earlier Tudor house, and nearby is a brick barn and walled
garden that date from the 16th century. There are tales of tunnels, probably of Tudor origin and
large enough to take a horse and cart, running from under the house to the river. The purpose of
the tunnels is unknown, but they could suggest smuggling activity!
Fairkytes house was built in the late 17th century, with additional work being carried out
in the 18th and 19th centuries. The first occupant was Job Alibone, whose son Sir Richard
Alibone, was the first Catholic to be a Justice of the King's Bench. The Council used Fairkytes as a
library from 1953 and since 1972 it has been the home of Havering Arts Centre.
Joseph Fry, son of Quaker and prison reformer Elizabeth Fry, lived at Fairkytes house with
his wife and children from 1870 until his death in 1896. He, like his mother, engaged in
charitable works.
A bare-knuckle prize fight, for a purse of 400 guineas, took place between Daniel Mendoza, the first Jewish English heavyweight champion, and John Jackson, known as Gentleman Jackson, behind St Andrews Church on 15th April 1795? Jackson was declared the winner, securing him the championship of England.